Sunday, March 30, 2008

April is National Autism Month...


and this hits close to home for me as my nephew Donovan has Aspergers. I have always felt a super special bond with this little man, perhaps because he is my first nephew (the first to born of all me and my siblings kids) and he is just so special to me.


We thought he was just a rowdy little boy and naughty like most kids are, don't listen well ec...But as the behaviors became more and more, "obsessive" might be the right word, the more the thought of perhaps there was something else going on. Well there was and he was offically diagnosed with Aspergers..he is pre-school now and from what I am told doing very well, which makes me very happy because I do worry about him, he may not be my child, but I love him so much and just want him to be happy.


Thankfully Aspergers from what I read and understand is a very high functioning form of Autism, and that is one positive that we can focus on. And I have high hopes that he will do just fine. He is soooo creative and artistic, I mean the kid can draw better than me, and well his writing even trumps my 24 year old husbands chicken scratches. And I think he will definitely end up doing something very artisitic and creative when he grows up, perhaps you will see his name on the big screen or in the creation of a video game or on a famous painting. No matter what he does, I love this little man very much, and no matter what "title" is put on him in his life he will always have a special place in my heart.


"Autism is treatable. Children do not "outgrow" autism, but studies show that early diagnosis and intervention lead to significantly improved outcomes." Hopefully with further discussion and openess on this issue more schools and peopel will have a better understanding of all forms of autism and hopefully it will be a good world for my nephew to live his life in.


For more info on Autism go to: http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer

No comments: