Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Story Time!

Babes and I received a "New Baby Visit" from the local ECFE (Early Childhood and Family Education) program affiliate called HUG (Helping Us Grow) last Friday. Any baby born in Hennepin county gets a mailing about this program. Minnesota is luckily one of the very few states that has funding of E-12 (Early Childhood to 12th grade) compared to just K-12. So the baby and I are signed up with classes and a Mommy Club and also a monthly story time and dinner program, to meet other families with babies. Tonight was our first Story Time and Dinner and it was a blast. An incredibly diverse group of people and so many CUTE babies.

Gwendolyn was the littliest one, the next oldest was 5 months, and Gwendolyn and her (Isabella) were very interested in each other and had a little chat, it was great to see her already interacting with other babies. Isabella took Gwen's socks of a few times which was totally funny and cute. There were only 3 girls and all the rest were boys. The average age was 7 months and then a 10 month old and one 11 month old. It was so cute to see the babies at the "playing with toys stage", Gwen isn't quite there yet, but I am sure she will be soon, she engages really well with books, toys ec..she just can't really hold onto them all herself quite yet. She is so wanting to sit up and I have gone back and forth about getting her one of these and Isabella had one and I definitely want one now and I really think Gwendolyn would love it, so hopefully we can get it soon, if the money falls into the right place.

I was really impressed with how engaged Gwendolyn was with the story time teacher, especially for her age. Not sure we will be able to go to the June one cause it is booked so were on the waiting list :( Hopefully something opens up, but were signed up for the August one for sure, so I am looking forward to that. We also registered for Mommy, Daddy and Baby classes starting in September, and I think it will be a total blast! Dakota thinks its so funny she is already going to "school", but I think its great, you can't start education and learning to early in my opinion. Oh we also get a free book donated from Barnes and Noble, we picked "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?", the story time teacher said rhyming books are great for her age level, it grabs there attention. And the food was really yummy! So double plus there. All and all a great experience and I look forward to getting involved and doing lots more with ECFE and HUG in the future!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to work away from home when your babies are growing up. I am pretty lucky, I work from home but my children still had to attend Childcare (or I wouldn't get work done ;) but I have flexibility other moms would dream of - when the children are sick etc.

What do you do for work ?
Welcome to Her Blog Directory..

Steph said...

I am not able to get to your blog, possibly you have it set up as private...so I will respond here, I am new to the blogger world, so hopefully this is an accetable practice ;)

I work as a clerical adminstrator for a TPA (Third Party Administrator) in the insurance industry. I would love to find something from home or even taking care of other kids at someones home, however I carry the insurance cause my company has AMAZING insurance, but by the end of this year we may be changing that depending what the hubby finds for a job, he is looking for something new. So we'll see, I just have to go with it all happens for a reason for now :)

Thanks, I am glad to be a part of it!